FOX RIVER GROVE, IL (Oct 1.) – Olympic Champion Billy Demong (Vermontville, NY) out-sprinted the competition in the last 200 meters to take his eighth career U.S. Championship title in the nordic combined normal hill competition. Bryan Fletcher (Steamboat Springs, CO) jumped his way to first heading into the roller ski portion and skied a strong race, finishing third. The Championships took place at the Norge Ski Club in Fox River Grove, IL near Chicago, one of the oldest nordic clubs in America.
- Demong grabs career eighth U.S. title
- Strong performance by Bryan Fletcher, jumping first to the roller ski and leading until 200 meters to the finish
- Strength in juniors field with Steamboat Spring's Erik Lynch breaking top 5
- Olympic silver medalist Johnny Spillane jumps and skis strong finishing second
- First time in recent history event has been held at the Norge Ski Club, which is one of the oldest clubs in America
- Fourth year the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association has held its U.S. Championships in the summertime
"I had aspirations to win, but there's really tight competition with about six or seven of us right now. It was anybody's game to win. Now I need to have a good quality build-up into the season to start strong on the World Cup."
"The best part of this weekend is that we were able to bring a U.S. Championship to a club that hasn't held it but one other time in 100 years, and as one of the biggest, oldest ski clubs in America. It helps boost the exposure of the sport, coming to a place like Chicago, as well as helping to connect with other clubs. A lot of people came out to support."
"I was psyched to see the younger guys competing really strong. We're starting to see that next group moving up to get to an international level, and that's really important."
Results: OFFICIAL RESULTS
U.S. Nordic Combined Championships
Fox River Grove, IL - Oct 1, 2011
Nordic Combined – Normal Hill (K70)
(jump rank/XC rank) finish time
1. Billy Demong, Vermontville, NY (3/3) 26:16.4
2. Johnny Spillane, Steamboat Springs, CO (4/2) 26:16.9
3. Bryan Fletcher, Steamboat Springs, CO (1/8) 26.19